Sampson Society

House Histories


Sampson Society Appreciation Visit - 17 September 2013

At first sight, Nutbourne appears slightly different to other houses in Bickwell Valley. Most of the houses in the Valley were designed in a loose form of Arts and Crafts, with half timbering a common feature. The delicate detailing of these houses contrasts with the more solid appearance of Nutbourne. Architecturally, Nutbourne is probably more typical of a late Victorian or early Edwardian villa.

There are 2 other houses in the area which have similar design features - Burnside at the top of the Valley and Silver Howe on Boughmore Road. It is interesting that each of these houses could be accessed without the need for construction of the Bickwell Valley Road. Burnside took its original access from Broadway and Silver Howe when first built would have gained access from Boughmore Lane. (Boughmore Lane, now little more than a muddy footpath was the access for all the houses in that area before Boughmore Road itself was built in the mid 1920’s)

Sampson Society Appreciation Visit - 21 May 2014

Sampson built Marrick House, which he named Shatterway, for his own occupation in 1939. He lived there until his death in 1950.

Since this was the last house that Sampson designed for himself, it seems appropriate to set out the various houses he lived in following his first arrival in the town in 1891.

The first address record we have for Sampson (Kelly’s Directory 1893) was 3 The Myrtles. This house formed part of the terrace on the High Street between the Masonic Hall and the Co op supermarket. The houses had only been built a year or so before Sampson arrived and have subsequently been converted to commercial properties.

Martin Mallinson

Notes for ‘House Appreciation’ visit, Sampson Society, 4 October 2012

Picture of Bickwell Valley, 1906/07